Friday, October 23, 2009

Internet Inspiration

The Internet never ceases to amaze me. I just went on a wild web ride that took me all over the place and I ended up finding some good resources that are just too fabulous not to share.

It all started out because my Creating Keepsakes magazine is up for renewal. Now I think that I should still have several issues left because I was not only a CK subscriber but also Simple Scrapbooks and Digital Scrapbooking, both now defunct. Not the point of this post though.

I went online to see if I could find a better renewal rate than the $23.97 they were offering me. And I found out that CK Media was sold in September. Where have I been? And to a company that's here in Cambridge? Unbelievable. What on earth is going on in this industry?! I mean, I should have seen it coming with the demise of SS and Digital, and also Memory Makers, but still.

So in my quest to find out more about this (and try to determine if it's worth renewing CK or if this one's going belly-up too) I stumbled onto www.scrapbookupdate.com. I'd been on this site before and forgot how informative it is. Good stuff! There I saw that Becky Higgins has left CK so wandered over to her site www.beckyhiggins.com to read more and found this cool Life Story template: http://www.beckyhiggins.com/blog/ADULT.life.story.pdf that I'm itching to use.

Scrapbook Update also led me to Renee Pearson's new blog, which I'm looking forward to exploring when I've got Photoshop on my mind.

Somehow I then ended up at Angie Lucas's blog "yeah, right," (www.angielucas.com) which I am going to have to follow because I just love that she is a self-professed "word nerd" and scrapbooker! Gotta love someone whose post title is "A Quick Grammar Lesson." Angie mentions that she was a guest blogger over at Write.Click.Scrapbook and I got excited all over again about this inspirational site that I had first seen several months ago (then promptly forgot all about), started by ex-Simple Scrapbookers .

Angie also mentioned her e-book company site, www.ellapublishing.com and get this -- they have a FREE e-zine! I love e-zines and I love them when they're free even better! Check it out! Their cover story featured a layout by Moon Ko and a link to a short Q&A with her, which excited me since I have followed her work on TwoPeas because she is an 8.5 by 11 scrapper like me. So off I went to explore her blog, but not before I discovered 8.5 by 11 scrappers Diane Herman, Waleska Neris, Erin Sweeney and Caroline Ikeji. Can't wait to fully explore their blogs for more layout inspiration!

OK, now I have to go. No time for blogging, I have too many blogs to go read! So do I really need that CK subscription too? Yeah, I do, even for $23,97, or whatever it costs. I think I need to do my small part to keep this industry alive and if no one is willing to pay for content, there's no incentive for anyone to keep producing. The Internet is amazing but really, nothing in life is truly free. But that's a post for another day -- I'm off to soak up inspiration and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment