Friday, October 2, 2009

World Card Making Day is Tomorrow

Saturday, October 3 is World Card Making Day. I wish I could report that I have some kind of exciting plans, but I thought I had a conflict with a family event so I didn't schedule anything. Nonetheless, I'm planning to make three birthday cards tomorrow in my craft studio. I'm excited to use some new supplies that I picked up at an odd place -- the Christmas Tree Shop! Enabler alert: They have Martha Stewart punches for $3.99. Only two styles at my store but yours may have more!

I'll be sure to post my creations over the weekend or next week, but I wanted to leave you with some cards I made a few weeks ago to rev up my inspiration.


This first one was for my niece's 8th birthday so I made sure to use lots of pink and a little bling. I made the flower embellishment on the left side actually extends off of the card, so the card base is only 5.25 inches wide, allowing it to fit in a standard size envelope. The letters were made using my Slice, which I haven't been using enough. I brushed Stickles all over them to give them a bit of shine.

Card directions
1. Trim white cardstock to 5.25 by 8.5 and fold in half so the opening is at the bottom.
2. Trim flowered patterned paper to 5.25 by 4 and attach to card so .125 inch shows at top and bottom.
3. Die cut letters from white cardstock using Slice. Brush with Stickles and let dry.
4. Trim pink patterned paper strip so that it is taller than your letters and ink the top edge with brown ink.
6. Edge strip of white cardstock with scalloped border punch and attach edge to back of pink strip.
7. Wrap ribbon around seam and tie knot.
8. Stamp sentiment with brown ink on white cardstock and trim, round top corners, ink edges and attach edge to back of pink strip.
9. Attach pink strip section to middle third of card.
10. Glue on letters, leaving room for the flower embellishment.
12. Punch scalloped circle from white cardstock.
13. Punch flower from patterned paper scrap with circle punch and attach to white scalloped circle with foam tape.
14. Cut leaves from patterned paper scrap and attach to flower circle.
15. Spread stickles on flower and adhere gem to center.
16. Attach flower so that it overhangs the edge of the card by .25 inch.

Supplies
Paper: White cardstock, DCWV Summer Glitter stack patterned paper
Stamp: Studio G
Ink: Colorbox Chalk Chestnut Roan
Ribbon: Target
Punches: Fiskars Treading Water, EK Success scalloped circle and corner rounder.
Die cut letters: Making Memories Slice limited edition Seasons card
Gem: Nicole
Glitter: Stickles either Diamond or Crystal

The second card was for my Mom's birthday, only ten days after my niece's. This one is a similar design, with the scalloped circle flower extending off the right side, but with a more muted color palette. The little butterfly and staples give some added dimension.

Card directions
1. Trim ivory cardstock to 10.5 by 4.25 and fold to make a side opening card.
2. Trim blue cardstock to 5 by 4 and adhere.
3. Trim flower paper to 4.75 by 3.75, ink edges with pink and adhere.
4. Punch pink strip with border punch.
5. Trim strip of striped paper and adhere to pink strip.
6. Wrap rickrack around seam.
7. Attach pink strip.
8. Stamp sentiments on ivory carstock with purple ink and ink edges with pink.
9. Attach sentiments as shown, using staples on ends of bottom sentiment.
10. Punch butterfly from purple scrap cardstock. Fold in half, open and attach with staple.
12. Punch scalloped circle from blue cardstock and dot scallops with silver gel pen.
11. Punch circle from ivory cardstock and draw circle with template and silver gel pen. Attach to blue circle.
12. Punch three sizes of flowers and attach with foam tape to each other and ivory circle.
13. Finish flower with adhesive pearl.

Supplies
Paper: Ivory and light blue cardstock, scraps of pink and purple cardstock, Making Memories (floral print and stripes), DCWV (pink swirled)
Stamps: PSX (alpha), K&Co. (birthday sentiment)
Ink: Colorbox Chalk Wisteria and Pink Pastel
Punches: EK Success flower and butterfly punches, Martha Stewart border punch
Rickrack: Offray
Staples
Pen: Silver Uniball Gel Extreme
Pearl: K&Co

No comments:

Post a Comment